Household Goods: Information and Suggestions for Shipments
MUST KNOW INFORMATION FOR THE SHIPMENT OF HOUSEHOLD GOODS
Effective 12 May 2020, MARADMIN 284/20, provides guidance and health safety screening requirements for household goods shipments to protect the force during relocation. Additional documents and support during a COVID-19 environment are available at: https://www.iandl.marines.mil/Divisions/Logistics-Plans-Policies-Strategic-Mobility-LP/Logistics-Distribution-Policy-Branch-LPD/PCS2/
Once you have been found medically suitable for your overseas tour, please begin the process of setting up your shipment of household goods by visiting www.move.mil to create/update your DPS account.
It is encouraged to perform a self-counseling to reduce friction and facilitate better planning before your final appointment with the Distribution Management Office (DMO) or the Transportation Management Office (TMO).
Funded Orders and a copy of your Approved Area Clearance/Dependent Entry Approval (DEA) may be required to finalize your shipment of Household Goods (HHGs) with DMO/TMO.
When deciding what to bring, please keep in mind that you will be required to complete a 14-day ROM either in a housing unit or on/off-base lodging.
ITEMS NEEDED WHILE IN A 14-DAY ROM WHEN RESIDING IN CONTINGENCY OR PERMANENT HOUSING
Please plan to bring the following items with you or coordinate with your sponsor to secure the items upon arrival.
- Masks/face coverings - cloth or disposable
- Bedding (double & twin size sheets, blankets, pillows and pillow casings) and linens.
- Select baby items (if applicable).
- Towels and washcloths: enough for each family member.
- Medication, contact lenses or glasses, and other hygiene items; enough to last while in ROM.
- Children's entertainment and comfort items (i.e. toys and their personal belongings).
- Electronic devices such as tablets, laptops to complete virtual check-in requirements while in ROM.
- Pet food (enough for 14 days) and other pet supplies (if applicable).
- Cleaning supplies and any other essential items you will need during the 14-day ROM period.
- *Set of dishes, kitchenware, and cutlery: temporary kitchen kits are available for personnel to borrow through Marine & Family Programs-Resources Centers. Coordinate with your sponsor to secure a kit prior to your arrival.
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE EXPRESS/UNACCOMPANIED BAGGAGE SHIPMENT
- 42-inch TV or smaller, DVD /Blu-ray Player and a few favorite DVDs.
- Baby crib or Play Pen. (Item has to be less than 42 inches in diameter when disassembled).
- Lamps and small fans.
- Space heater. Some off-base housing units do not have built-in heaters.
- Additional bedding and linens (double & twin size sheets, blankets, pillows and pillow casings).
- Set of dishes, kitchenware, cutlery and small appliances (enough for you or your entire family to use).
- Clothing to include rain gear and summer clothes. Okinawa is extremely hot and humid during the summer time. Packa combination of clothing to include a warm jacket as weather varies dramatically.
- Additional children’s items (i.e. toys and their personal belongings).
- Small rugs and a few carpets as tile over concrete is the standard floor in most homes.
- Any other essential items needed within the first 30-60 days.
SUGGESTIONS FOR THE HOUSEHOLD GOODS SHIPMENT
- Additional clothes and shoes not packed in the express shipment.
- Additional kitchenware not packed in the express shipment.
- Bedroom set or mattresses (if you have comfortable ones).
- Living room set, if not too heavy.
- Large rugs, carpets, and household/holiday décor.
- Bathroom sets such as bathroom rugs, additional towels and shower caddies.
- Keep books to a minimum unless they are part of your professional equipment.
- Dehumidifiers are great to have as it is very humid in Okinawa during the spring and summer months.
- CDs, DVDs, and board games are a must to have during bad weather or Typhoon Season.
- Anything you will need to live on for the next 2-3 years.
- Temporary loaner furniture is available for personnel on full JFTR weight allowances. For details, please visit theFurnishings Management website: http://www.housing.af.mil/Units/Okinawa/furnishingsmanagement/.
This serves as general list of suggestions for the shipment of HHGs. For additional policies or weight allowances relating to your HHGs shipment, please contact your local DMO or TMO.